Spine surgery is a procedure that can take time to recover from, but it doesn’t have to be as difficult as you think. This blog post will discuss the precautions you need to take after spine surgery, so your recovery process goes smoothly and without incident. We’ve also included some tips on how best to prepare for this type of surgery and what happens during the operation itself.
What is Spine Surgery?
Surgery for a spine condition is called Spine Surgery. It is a surgery to treat problems with the bones, discs, and nerves in your spine. Conditions that may require spine surgery include:
Herniated disc. A herniated disc is when the gel-like center of the spinal disc pushes out through a crack in the tough outer layer. This can cause pain, numbness, weakness, or a tingling sensation over the buttocks and down the leg.
Failed back surgery syndrome. In some cases, people who have had spine surgery experience symptoms not because of any new problems but because their original condition has returned with greater severity.
Spine surgery may be done to treat conditions that affect your back’s bones, muscles, or soft tissues. These include:
Lumbar Discectomy. A lumbar discectomy means removing part of a ruptured disc to relieve pressure on a nerve.
Laminectomy. A laminectomy is a surgery to remove the bone (lamina) that covers and protects the spinal cord.
Spinal Fusion. Spinal fusion is a surgical procedure to join two or more vertebrae together with a graft to grow together and form one solid piece of bone. This may eliminate pain by removing damaged discs in the spine.
Kyphoplasty. Kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive procedure to treat painful compression fractures of the spine.
Spinal Stenosis. Lumbar spinal stenosis means that there’s too much pressure on your spinal cord and nerves, causing pain in your leg(s).
Medullary Sponge Kidney (MSK). Medullary sponge kidney (MSK) is a rare disorder of the kidneys.
How is Spine Surgery Done?
The surgery is done through a small incision in the back. The surgeon then uses special instruments to remove the damaged disc and replace it with an artificial one.
What To Expect After Surgery.
You will be fitted with a brace that you must wear for four to six weeks post-surgery. You will also need to take it easy for a few weeks and help with some activities.
You will gradually increase your activity level as you heal. It will help if you avoid heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for several months.
Most people make a full recovery following spine surgery, but some risks are associated with the procedure. Talk to your doctor about the possible risks and benefits of surgery.
What Precautions To Take After Spine Surgery.
People who have undergone spine surgery must take special precautions to prevent any post-surgery complications that can occur because of their back condition. Some precautions to take after spine surgery are as follows ;
- Do not bend or twist your back. Even if you are not in any pain, it is best to avoid activities that pressure your back. Even small movements such as tying shoelaces or doing laundry can put a strain on your back.
- Avoid long periods of inactivity. It is best to avoid lying down for long periods because getting up once you are lying down is challenging. It would be best to walk around or sit in a chair whenever possible after the surgery.
- Do not drive until your doctor tells you that it’s okay to do so. Driving can be dangerous if you have back pain before and during driving. Following spine surgery, it can be challenging to sit for a long time, which means that you should avoid driving as much as possible.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol until your doctor tells you it’s okay. If you have spine surgery, then smoking and drinking after the surgery increase the risk of complications such as pneumonia or blood clots in your legs. It would help if you quit smoking because it will reduce your lung capacity, which could cause problems during the recovery period. Smoking after spine surgery interferes with healing because it decreases the blood supply to your spine.
- Try not to bend or twist at waist level. Spine surgery has weakened muscles and ligaments in your back; you should avoid activities that involve bending forward for long periods. This is especially true if you are overweight because extra weight puts more pressure on your back.
- Take all prescribed medications and follow the diet plan recommended by your doctor. Certain medications can slow down the healing process, so taking them as directed by your doctor is essential. Also, make sure that you follow a healthy diet that will not put any extra strain on your back.
- Don’t lift heavy objects or do strenuous exercises. Your doctor will tell you when it’s okay for you to start physical therapy and exercise. You can ask them about specific activities that may help improve your recovery time after surgery. Your doctor may tell you to use a back brace for up to three months. Make sure the weight limit of your brace does not exceed the stated weight. Ask about where and when you can return to work after spine surgery.
- Do not take any medicines without consulting your doctor. Make sure you don’t give yourself medication if the label says “take with food, drink or antacid.” You can ask us about taking painkillers and other drugs.
- Drink plenty of fluids. This will help you stay hydrated and flush toxins from your body.
- Avoid constipation. Constipation can cause discomfort and increase the pressure on your spinal cord. Eat high-fiber foods, drink lots of water, and exercise regularly to avoid becoming constipated.
Why should you avoid this?
People who have undergone spine surgery should avoid these activities to prevent any post-surgery complications that can occur because of their back condition.
Following these precautions can help you recover quickly and avoid any further complications. Talk to your doctor about specific precautions you need to take after spine surgery.In conclusion, if you have a spine condition and are considering surgery, be sure to talk to a spine specialist in Orange County CA about the best treatment options for you. Make sure to follow all precautions to take after spine surgery.