As Employee Provident Fund (EPF) services are operated online, the Universal Account Number (UAN) is very important. Checking EPF balance, PF loan application, and withdrawal of PF is very easy with the help of the UAN number.
Every employee who is contributing towards EPF will have a 12-digit UAN. The UAN is allotted by the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), and it remains the same throughout the life of an employee even if he/she changes jobs. In case an employee changes his/her job,
they will be allotted a new member identification number (ID) by the EPFO. This can be linked to the UAN. Bank details, PAN Card, and Aadhaar Card details will have to be linked to the UAN.
Some of the important things an employee should know about their UAN are:
- The employee can get to know his/her UAN by contacting the employer.
- If the UAN is not given by the employer, the employee can find his/her UAN with help of the member ID/PF number. The member ID/PF number is usually mentioned on the salary slip.
Documents required for generating UAN
Some of the documents required to generate UAN are:
- Bank account information such as account number, branch name, and IFSC code.
- Aadhaar Card
- PAN Card
- ESIC Card
- Proof of identification – Passport, Aadhaar card, Voter ID, or Driving License with your photo affixed to it.
- Address proof – An ID proof with your current address mentioned on it. Rental agreement, utility bill, or a ration card can be used.
Activation of UAN
The UAN can be activated by following the below steps:
- You will have to visit the EPFO website (https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php) and click on ‘For Employees’ under the ‘Our Services’ section.
- Once on this page, you will need to click on ‘Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)’. This will lead you to the next page, which is
- Next, you will have to click on ‘Activate UAN’.
- The UAN, member ID, Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID, and captcha details will need to be entered here. After entering these details click on ‘Get Authorisation Pin’.
- You will receive a PIN on your registered mobile number. Click on ‘I Agree’ which is present under the disclaimer box. You will get an OTP on your registered number which must be entered in the box provided. Click on ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN’ after that.
- Your UAN will be activated and you will receive the password on your registered mobile number.
How to change name, date of birth, and gender on EPFO website
With the help of UAN, making basic changes is very easy on the EPFO website. The process to change name, gender, and date of birth is:
- You will need to log in to the EPFO website using your UAN, password, and captcha.
- Once you have logged in, you must click on ‘Modify Basic Details’ under the ‘Manage’ section.
- Upon making the changes required, you must click on ‘Update’.
- Once you have clicked on ‘Update’, a ‘Pending approval of Employer’ message will be displayed.
- You can contact your employer and request them to approve the changes.
Supporting documents required for change of name
Any of the following can be used as supporting documents when changing the name on EPFO website:
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Aadhaar Card
- Ration Card
- Registrar of Birth & Death certificate
- Copy of telephone, water, or electricity bill in the name of the claimant.
- PAN Card
- ESIC Card
- Copy of post office or bank passbook
- School certificate
- State/Central government organisation service records certificate
Online transfer of PF funds from one account to another
Transfer of PF funds from one account to another was time-consuming before. The employee had to fill up Form 13, get it signed by his/her ex-employer,
and then submit it to the new employer for transfer of funds. However, since the launch of the EPFO website, transfer of funds from one’s account to another has become very simple.
Some of the prerequisites for transfer of PF funds online are:
- The UAN of the member should be activated and the registered mobile number should be active.
- Bank details must be updated against the UAN. The e-KYC should be approved by the employer.
- The current or previous employer must have digitally authorised signatories registered in EPFO.
- The previous and current organisations’ PF number must be entered in the EPFO database.
- Against the previous member ID, only one transfer request can be accepted.
- PF account related information and personal information should match and be correct.
Below are the steps that must be followed to transfer funds online:
- You must log in to the EPFO website using your UAN, password, and captcha.
Once you have completed the login process, under ‘Online Services’ click on ‘ONE MEMBER – ONE EPF ACCOUNT (TRANSFER REQUEST)’.
- PF account for the present employer and personal information must be verified.
- By clicking on ‘Get Details’, PF account details of your previous employment can be seen.
Based on the availability of authorised signatory, you will have the option to either choose your current or previous employer for attesting claim. Provide UAN or member ID after choosing any one of the employers.
- After completing the above process, you must click on ‘Get OTP’. You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Click on submit once the OTP is entered.
After accessing the employer interface on the unified portal, the employer will be able to approve your request. Within 10 days, you must submit a physical signed copy to the selected employer of the online PF transfer claim.
Steps for EPF withdrawal online
Unlike before, withdrawal of PF can be done quickly and easily online. The steps to apply for EPF withdrawal online are:
- You will need to login to the EPFO website by using your UAN, password, and captcha.
The next step would be to click on ‘Manage’ and select ‘KYC’. Ensure that your bank, Aadhaar Card, and PAN Card details are correct and verified.
- If KYC details are verified, click on ‘Online Services’ and then click on ‘Claim’ from the menu.
The details of the member and KYC details can be seen. To submit the claim form you must click on ‘Proceed For Online Claim’.
Under the ‘I Want To Apply For’ tab, you must choose the claim that is required. You can either choose full EPF settlement, pension withdrawal, or partial EPF withdrawal. The options will not be available in the drop-down menu if the member is not eligible for the claim.
Therefore, the introduction of the UAN has simplified many features in the EPFO website. Members can view EPF balance, claim PF, and even make changes regarding their EPF account online.
Employees can also ensure that their employers are depositing their contribution in a timely manner in the PF account. To know about universal account number click here.