Over the past couple of years, digital transformation has evolved from a fashionable term into a key competitive advantage.
It became obvious that only companies that successfully passed through digital transformation could continue to increase their superiority, capabilities, and authority in the future. That is why the foreground is the task of finding and hiring the right people with the right knowledge, able to successfully lead an organization through change.
However, without appropriate technology, even the most competent employees can be powerless in front of digitalization challenges.
What technologies will help companies and their employees survive the digital boom?
Repeatedly, strategic trends for 2019 in the field of technology have recognized those of them that are based on the concept of artificial intelligence, merging the digital and real world, as well as building networks that connect people with devices/services and devices between themselves
Among the most interesting trends in 2019, the following should be noted:
- Autonomous Things – the use of artificial intelligence to automate functions previously performed by man. The term “Autonomous Things” usually refers to robots, drones, vehicles, household appliances that work in the real world.
- Augmented Analytics – the use of machine learning to manipulate data, search for dependencies and build analytical models.
- Artificial Intelligence – the introduction of the best practices of artificial intelligence in developing applications and services. The technology involves a transition from a situation where an application developer needs a data-specialist, to a situation where a developer can work alone using pre-configured models.
- Digital Twin – a digital representation of a real system or entity, for example, a digital factory as a twin of a factory in the real world.
The popularity of the “digitization” query from 2014 to 2018 has been growing steadily both in Dubai and in other countries. This suggests that the trend of digital transformation is not only characteristic of the Western market.
Regardless of the chosen technology, a special place should belong to cybersecurity and personal data protection.
According to forecasts, by 2020, companies that protect data will have 20% more profit online, than those companies that are not concerned about the protection of personal data.
Companies and products that are not able to provide a sufficient level of protection of personal data of employees or users will inevitably face a loss of trust on the part of the latter. Therefore, it is worth thinking about how protected the developed applications or services are.
The most correct option is to check the data security, i.e. application security testing. Engineers who specialize in security testing will not only assess the current level of data security but also provide recommendations for improving this level.
Following are the most breakthrough technologies and their main areas of application:
- Virtual reality (VR): the main areas of application: production/product development, design, and construction, education/training, entertainment, medicine.
- Internet of Things: the main areas of application: tracking the movement of goods and materials, remote data collection, self-service, remote service delivery, flexible pricing models.
- Robots: the main areas of use: production, harmful production, hotel business and tourism, services, automation of predictable operations.
- Artificial intelligence: the main areas of application: risk management and counter real-time fraud, automated virtual assistants, data analysis and advanced analytics.
- Unmanned devices: the main areas of application: infrastructure testing, delivery of goods, construction site management, equipment condition monitoring, forestry.
- Blockchain: main applications: identification and access control, P2P transactions, supply chain management, smart contracts, asset / property registration.
What should companies consider when converting a business to digital?
First, you need an experienced IT team that clearly understands the problems, goals, and objectives of the business.
It will tell you which technologies are better to use for solving the tasks facing the business, not offering a car, where there is enough scooter, and an experienced IT business analyst who has a good knowledge of all the features of work in a particular domain will evaluate the effectiveness.
Secondly, IT products should be delivered as quickly as possible, with quick results in price due to the development of an MVP (minimum viable product, or minimum viable product). Obviously, the rapid delivery of the product to the market requires a short phase of not only development but also testing, because modifiable MVPs require constant regression testing. Accelerate and optimize testing will help automation testing of stable modules.
Large consulting companies are conducting research, trying to figure out which technologies will bring the greatest effect.